FOCI-VIII @ İzmir University of Economics
THE QUEST FOR THE IDEAL COURSEBOOK
Dates: December 2013 (dates to be announced soon)
Venue: İzmir University of Economics, Balçova, İzmir
Most of us would probably agree that the perfect coursebook for university Preparatory Programmes has not (as yet) been published. If such perfect materials could exist, we would probably have to write them all ourselves, but the resources needed for such an enterprise are unlikely to be available to most of us. As curriculum developers, we are dependent on choosing and adapting from the range of commercially available materials.
FOCI VIII invites you on a journey in quest of the ideal coursebook. Let’s discuss;
- the best possible ways of evaluating, analysing and selecting coursebooks ,
- the strengths & weaknesses of the materials available on the market,
- and give suggestions on how to tailor them considering the needs of the learners for their academic studies .
The forum will take an informal and hands-on approach to the practical “nitty-gritty” of curriculum work aiming to complement the formal presentation of papers or workshops to be found at other professional gatherings such as conferences, seminars and workshops. It is intended that participants will come away from the Forum with concrete examples of how other institutions have responded to the challenges raised by the theme. This will involve whole-group discussion and smaller groups focusing on particular areas who will then give feedback to the whole group. The topics for the smaller focus groups’ discussion will be decided from suggestions made by participants on the registration form.
- In order to ensure efficient and focused discussion and an informal atmosphere, places are limited to one representative from each institution. We hope that you will understand the necessity for this.
- The representative should be a member of a syllabus or curriculum team, or other teacher who is actively involved in curricular development, rather than an administrator.
- If interest exceeds capacity, places are allocated randomly from applications received by the closing date, maintaining a range of different types of university and geographical spread in order to ensure the widest variety of perspectives.
- There is no fee. Refreshments and lunch are provided free of charge.
- The language of the forum is English.
- The deadline for registration is Monday 30th September, 2013.
We would like to encourage all participants to submit a short Coursebook Innovation report on a coursebook which their insitution uses. A template will be posted shortly.
To register use this link: (to be posted shortly)
For enquiries contact: [email protected]
Campus location: Fevzi Çakmak Mh., Sakarya Cd No:156, 35330 Izmir
Accommodation: Unfortunately we are unable to provide accommodation. Details of suitable hotels will be posted shortly